Washday Routine For Natural Hair
Posted by Main Admin on
One of the basics of natural haircare is washing it. It's notoriously termed washday because it could take all-day to go through it but it doesn't necessarily have to. Once you get the hang of it, you can get it done gently but quickly. So what are the basics to go through?
Before you decide to do anything at all to your hair, it is important to detangle. This is a very crucial step as it helps in loosening your hair. Aside this, detangling gently and properly helps in retaining length. If this step is skipped or not done right, you could lose a lot of hair during the washday routine.
How to detangle
1. Get your spray bottle
2. Pour a bit of water in the spray bottle. Mix the water with your Detangling Conditioner and shake well.
3. Spray the mixture on to your hair.
4. Divide your hair into sections. Use your fingers to run-through your hair and with a wide tooth comb, gently comb hair from ends through to the roots.
7. Chunky twist each section you detangle and move on to the next section
The next step is to wash your hair. You can do so either in the chunky twists or untwist the hair and wash it altogether. Both has its pros and cons but it all depends on you.
How to wash
1. Wet hair with lukewarm water
2. Pour a generous amount of the Black Soap Shampoo into your hair and scalp
3. Gently massage shampoo into hair and scalp
4. Rub gently and rinse out. Be gentle on your edges.
You can repeat this process depending on the buildup in your hair.
It is recommended that you do at least a particular kind of hair treatment when washing your hair. Of course, you can't treat your hair daily that is why washing once a week is ideal but not the standard. Different hair types and circumstances require different wash times.
Getting back to the treatment conversation, depending on what your issue is, below are some types of treatments you can do during washday. Please do not combine two or more treatments per washday. One is enough.
Hot oil treatment - increases hair elasticity, restores moisture and reduces split ends
Deep conditioning treatment - hydrates and restores moisture to the hair
Protein treatment - improves hair strength and helps reduce breakage
Apple cider vinegar treatment - treats itchiness, dry scalp and dandruff
You can also go in for some DIY treatments depending on your hair type and what you want to achieve with the treatment.
No matter the type of treatment you go with, applying heat to your hair in the process is essential to allow for easy absorption of the products into your hair.
On days you're unable to treat your hair, use the Detangling Conditioner right after shampooing, use your wide tooth comb or fingers to gently detangle hair, leave the conditioner in your hair and rinse out after about 5-10 minutes.
After treatment, rinse your hair with room temperature water without using shampoo. Massage and rinse hair thoroughly to ensure that there are no traces of products in your hair.
After you're done rinsing your hair, use a micro fiber towel to pat hair in order to get any excess water out of your hair. You can equally use an old t-shirt or airdry.
Application of products and styling
You can apply products to your hair in sections or do it altogether. However, if you're a newbie or if your hair gets tangled up a lot, please apply the products in sections.
Apply the Leave-in-lotion from the ends of your hair to the roots and gently comb with your wide tooth comb. Massage and apply your preferred oils such as Hair Growth Oil, Avocado Oil, Coconut Oil, Sweet Almond Oil or a blend of it paying particular attention to your edges and scalp, and seal in the moisture with a much heavier oil such as Castor Oil, Pure Vitamin E Oil and the Shea Body and Hair Butter. Do this to all sections of your hair and style as desired.
As stated earlier on, washing your hair could take all day and can be tedious or frustrating. Don't worry if you're unable to do it by yourself. The team at Eya Salon is well-equipped to help you through the process. Just pass by any of the branches and you're assured of quality care.
For further hair consultation, please do not hesitate to contact Eya Naturals on +233 204 600 464 or +233 59 237 7008 @eyanaturals on Facebook and Instagram.
Share this post
- Tags: African naturals, apple cider vinegar, bad hair practices, blow dry, breakage, breaking, castor oil, chunky twists, damaged hair, Deep Condition, deep conditioning, detangle, detangling, edges, eya naturals, Eya Salon, eyanista, good hair practices, grow edges, Hair, Hair & Skin Care Blog, hair breakage, hair care, hair edges, Hair Growth, hair length, hair oils, hair practices, hair products, hair retention, hair shrinkage, hair thickness, hair transitioning, hair treatment, hairstyles, healthy hair, healthy hair growth, heat styling, Heatless, heavy oils, hot oil, Kinky Twists, leave in, regimen, routine, shampoo, wash day, wash essentials, washday